WHAT DOES REGISTRATION INCLUDE
First, registration allows you to participate in the festival. There may seem like a lot of spaces but it's a very complicated process to lay out all the squares to ensure that as many participants as possible can have that opportunity. As our event grows these chalk spaces will be in higher demand and only those that register prior to the event will be allowed to chalk draw. For now, though we won't turn anyone away who wants to participate.
Second, each participant receives a work space, a T-Shirt and a set of chalk pastels.
HOW DO I KNOW WHAT SIZE CHALK SPACE I NEED
First, choose the artwork you want to try and reproduce and try sketching it out on pavement. If you are new to street painting/chalk art, we suggest beginning with the smallest size square that's available.
Square size is required when you register.
If you are participating as one of our Featured Artists, you will also need to upload a picture of the sketch of your chalk piece so we can see if it needs to laid out horizontally or vertically.
WHERE DO I GO
When you arrive at the Somerset Amphitheater you will want to go to the Information & Supplies Tent in the middle of the big concrete bowl. From there you will receive supplies, your T-Shirt and instructions for the day and for the event. We will also have Volunteers available to help you with anything you may need.
HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN BE ON A YOUTH CHALLENGE TEAM
Teams can include 2 - 4 people. Chalk spaces are laid out closely together so it becomes difficult to chalk if there are more than four people.
CAN A CHILD & ADULT WORK TOGETHER
But we prefer that parents register their individual kiddos (ages 0-9 years old) for spaces in our Kidz Korner. Individuals and groups of 2-4 can register for a space in our General Public section. Registered participants are eligible for awards and prizes so if an adult (or kids ages 10 or older) does ANY of the chalking they need to be registered in the General Public section of the event. Again, there are smaller spaces in the Kidz Korner for little kids.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING WITH ME
- SUN SCREEN & WEATHER APPROPRIATE CLOTHING - All artists should be prepared for the weather predicted for the weekend and come dressed appropriately, that includes using sun screen (YES, even if it's cloudy). Baseball caps or large sun hats that shade the neck and face are also a great idea.
- PADS - Knee pads or some sort of padding for your knees and backside are a MUST BRING! ;) Some artists also use a small work chair or square frame bench to lean over as you're chalking.
- $ FOR FOOD & DRINKS - We will have food trucks, beverages, snacks and water available at the supplies tent and other areas during Apple Splash Festival. We've kept our square fees low on purpose! We want you to meet our vendors and local businesses while you're here so make sure you bring some extra cash.
- ARTWORK - You should bring any materials you want or may need for completing your art work. This could be spray bottles, hand wipes, printed images of your sketch or original artwork, etc.
- MISCELLANEOUS - Think of all the things you use in a day that you may need while you're at the Amphitheater: chap-stick/lip balm, sunscreen, water bottle, tissues, RX, ... bring anything you might need in a small bag or backpack that you can have with you at your work space. But DO NOT bring anything value unless it's kept on your person. When you register you agree to release the event and its persons from any liability or lost or stolen property. So only bring what you need and can keep with you.
HOW DO I REGISTER
Go to the "Become An Artist" page and click the button for the section you want to register for. It'll take you to the registration page which you can either fill out and pay for online or print off and mail in a check to:
Somerset Chamber of Commerce | PO Box 357 | Somerset, WI | 54025
If we do not have a registration and payment for you before September 1st we cannot guarantee you a space. We will, however, make every effort not to turn away any artists or participants this first year.